Friday 23 November 2012

We Are Gone!

Finally, the long awaited day has come and I've ridden Barnaby to his new yard.  I've been so excited it's been like waiting for Christmas.  John and I have spent the preceding days collecting all Barnaby's stuff together and bringing it home and sorting through everything.  I've chucked loads of stuff out actually.
I had to cycle to the new yard and leave my bike there.  I thought I was going to have to walk to the old yard, but John, who owns the farm, offered to give me a lift, which was an absolute godsend.  It gave me time to put a bed down in Barnaby's stable and do his haynets and waters, which was perfect.
I got to the yard about 10am.  Natalie was totally avoiding me, which is really starting to get on my nerves.  All the horses were in and have been for 3 days because of the bad weather.  I do agree it was bad, but you can't keep on keeping horses in like that, it's ridiculous. 
I decided to take Barnaby on a proper hack rather than just ride straight to the new yard, so I rode all the way through the village and came to the yard round the back way.  I've been riding past the new yard for the past few weeks to get Barnaby used to going that way and when we got to the entrance he went straight in.  I got off at the gate and led him through and he was fine.  I put him in his new (vast) stable and untacked him and he went straight down for a roll, which I take as a good sign! 
I popped his turn-out on and led him down to the field.  I knew it would be tricky as we have to go through two grass fields before we get to his paddock and I knew he'd be desperate for the grass, having been kept in for so long.  I just kept his leadrope short, especially when I turned him to shut the gate, as there are sheep in the field and I didn't want them to be able to escape.
He was looking around, taking it all in, new horses to look at and grass as far as the eye can see!  Eventually I got him to his paddock and put him in.  I just unclipped the leadrope so he could go off and explore.  Two other horses came down to meet him and there was a bit of squealing, but nothing major, then Barnaby decided to get on with what he does best and started eating.  Next he had another roll, one of pure pleasure I think, then went back to eating.  I think it was around then that I started crying.  It wasn't with relief that I'd got him there safely, it's just with joy that I am doing the right thing for my boy.  It's been killing me watching him in a stable all day, going mad when he sees me because he wants me to do something and knowing that I am the only person that can make a difference to his life. 
I could see Barnaby was perfectly happy, so I walked back up to the stables, got on my bike and cycled home, thoroughly pleased and content.  I'm so glad you're happy, Barnaby.
Jane x

1 comment: