Thursday 23 August 2012

Frustrations

It's like this: when we first moved here it was on the understanding that our horses would go out 24/7 in the summer, but for some reason this has never actually happened.  I suppose it's partly our fault for not asking why, but also partly the YO's for not offering.
I was awake for ages on Monday night as it suddenly hit me that I was really frustrated that the horses were still coming in at night, especially Barnaby as it's been way too hot for him to be in a stable.  He stands there dripping with sweat, and I feel so sorry for him.  Being a good mummy, of course I want to look after him to the best of my ability.
So I prayed about it, then went to see the YM in the morning.  I just said it had always been our intention for them to be out and it was offered but nothing has materialised.  One horse came here for an operation and as soon as he got better he was turned out, which is what I think annoyed me the most, so I mentioned it and asked if ours could please go out.  The YM was fine about it and said she would talk to the YO, and now, glory allelujah, ours are out!
What I had completely forgotten, though, is that Zak needs to be fed, so we've arranged it so that both boys will be brought in in the morning, so Zak can eat (Barnaby doesn't have anything at this time of year) and turned back out, then they'll be brought in with all the other horses at tea time, again so Zak can eat, then we'll come up and ride them and turn them back out when we've finished.
I think this will work really well, because:
Either me or the staff will take Zak's rug off in the morning.
I will ride Barnaby while Zak eats breakfast.
I can put suncream on Barnaby (but the staff will do this on days when I'm at work or asleep (when I've been on nights).
Then I'll turn both horses back out.
We'll probably both come up in the evenings to feed/ride/turn back out.
This will work at weekends when we do the mucking out, too, we'll bring them in for Zak's breakfast, then turn them back out, then muck out and go home/shopping.
In the afternoons we'll come up and ride, feed and turn back out.
Perfect.
I am a very happy bunny now, it's such a relief.  The boys have never been kept in during the summer, unless they've been bathed to go to a show the next morning.

Also, Zak is clearly no longer lame, judgeing from the bucking and leaping that went on yesterday when I turned him out.  John and I went for a quiet walk round and Zak was fine.
This morning, Barnaby and I did the slightly speeded up version!  I was going to hack out round the village but didn't feel very well when I got there, but felt so much better after I'd ridden.  We had a few good gallops.  I love how fit Barnaby is now, I was grinning like an idiot when I got back.
Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment